Police Nets Seven Over Violent Clashes in Kawempe Procession

©GALAXY

Police have arrested seven people following violent clashes that erupted in Kawempe South and Kawempe North on Monday during activities involving supporters of National Unity Platform (NUP) presidential candidate Robert Kyagulanyi, also known as Bobi Wine. The incident caused widespread reaction on social media after images and videos showed security operatives dispersing crowds with teargas […]


Police have arrested seven people following violent clashes that erupted in Kawempe South and Kawempe North on Monday during activities involving supporters of National Unity Platform (NUP) presidential candidate Robert Kyagulanyi, also known as Bobi Wine.

The incident caused widespread reaction on social media after images and videos showed security operatives dispersing crowds with teargas as supporters attempted to form a procession to greet and follow Kyagulanyi towards Kawempe North. Eyewitnesses said the chaos started while Bobi Wine was still addressing supporters at Kawempe Growers Playground in the afternoon.

Security forces had been heavily deployed throughout the area, extending towards Kawempe North. It is alleged that at Bwaise, police and military officers moved in to disperse the growing crowds, firing warning shots into the air. In the process, some supporters reportedly fell into a large trench, sustained injuries, and were rushed to hospital. At the same time, security officers came under attack, with stones pelted at them and their vehicles by sections of the irate crowd.

Police spokesperson Kituuma Rusoke condemned what he described as acts of hooliganism by some supporters. He said police had repeatedly warned the public against holding processions that go against Electoral Commission guidelines.

He further revealed that seven security officers were injured and are currently receiving treatment in hospital. In addition, seven police vehicles, including an ambulance, were damaged during the unrest. Kituuma added that while seven suspects have been arrested, others involved are still at large.

Police strongly condemned the violence, describing it as unacceptable and warning that firm action will be taken against anyone engaging in disorderly conduct as the election campaigns intensify.